Thursday, September 9, 2010

... try something new.

I submit to you that the place I willingly drag myself out of bed so early every morning for, trudging through the sleepy eyed masses of other commuters to get to , is not as much my job as it is a Social Experiment gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Exactly who is responsible for these experiments? The strings attached to me go up at least four more levels before they fade into the darkness that is beyond Upper Management. Like dominoes falling in a row the strings are pulled from above causing the level below to pull, then the next, and so on till I feel myself pulled. I have no strings.

I am pulled away from the thing that I am doing to be given yet another thing to do. I'm told it is because I was doing the last thing so well. I look around the stark room notice there is another person in the room, very much like me but he holds strings. There is nothing attached to his strings. I ask, "He has strings, shouldn't he be doing these important things?" I'm told that his strings are only for show, he never learned how to pull them. I turn back and finish the important things given to me, The Uppers are pleased and they pull strings of appreciation, the pulls stop just above.

Once again I am pulled away from things to go and assist another to finish their things, Luckily his strings are just like mine except they are hanging slack, not held tight like mine. When the strings are slack your feet tend to drag and you move much more slowly. I was beginning to feel the tension of my strings ease a little. The thing is finished and I am now pulled into another room.

The last room is a whirlwind of activity, strong and powerful. As I look around the room I wonder where are the things I'm supposed to be doing? There are no things set aside for me to do. The whirlwind slows to a gale force wind and I finally see the other person standing in the middle, His strings are slack too. Clutched in one hand I see the strings of other workers, he has figured out if his strings are slack he can create tension by pulling down others around him and using their strings to get a step up. He sees me standing there and tries to grab at my strings and pull me down. I jump out of the room safely and fing myself back in my room.

I'm content in my room, it gives me time to think. Am I really here? Am I a lab rat just being moved from one place to the other just to see how I will react? Are the Scientists also the ones pulling the strings or merely observers? Why does it all have to be this way?

Oh well, Time to cut the strings and go home, I'll reattach them adain in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment