Thursday, September 2, 2010

... get it all out!

There has been something bothering me about the American mentality for a long time now. Before you start throwing "How dare you's" and calling me names and getting mad, I want to let you know that I am as guilty as the next guy when it comes to the American Mentality.


We are Free, Patriotic, Proud, Honorable, Loving, Protective, Wealthy (comparitavely), Resourceful, Innovative, Friendly, Assertive, Caring, Strong willed, Insensitive, Arrogant, Imposing, Lazy, Carefree, Hateful, Egotistical, and Elitist.

Wow, see how fast that took a turn?

America Is a GREAT country to live in, anyone who has lived in any other country in the world knows first hand how great it is. As a country, we have so many choices of so many things (just count how many Barbeque sauce choices there are at the grocery store.) and we still complain when we can't get what we want.

I would have to say that truly polite people are hard to find. I have a hard time teaching my four year old how to be polite and say "please" and "thank you" when nobody says it out side of our home or his school. I work in the maintenance industry and I can not tell you how many people have stepped on or over me to get through the door way I was working on when there was another door right next to me. Please explain to me the logic that states it is easier to step on and over a person to get through a doorway than it is to just open a door to walk through. When was the last time you ventured out of your comfort zone and stopped to talk to someone you passed on the street? We grumble at each other when we pass, and if we are having a bad day we take it out on the cashier, waitress, houskeeper, or anyone else who works to serve you. Think about how bad a day they have when they have to deal with twenty more rude people after you. Next time take a lesson from these folks and smile back no matter how bad your day is.

How many times in this country have you heard someone say "I deserve" or " It's my Right as an American." Have you ever asked that person if they are an expert on the Constitution? Have they even read it or is it from the Oral History of the American Rights passed down through the family for generations to justify your grievances? How easily we speak up to defend our right to free speech and neglect the Declaration that "All men are created equal." I have to admit, I just looked up the First Amendment and I find it interesting that the Right to free speech is preceded by the Right to Religion.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"


You want to complain to the Government then do so, it is your right as an American, but try not to trample someone elses rights in doing so.



I love this country and all that it has given me, but I find myself wondering why I yearn to return to Sicily so much. Maybe it was that as a foreigner I was welcomed there and never judged by where I was from. We could learn from this.



It blows my mind what we actually think is important in our lives, we have so much to be thankful for and yet we still complain. I look at all I have and I consider myself lucky. Do I want more? Of course, it's just the nature of the beast. Do I need more? Certainly not. Could and should I do more to help others? Yes, we all should. THIS should be our right as American Citizens.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts, we could all stand a little more grace with each other. I do think we think our rights are rights, but normally they are simply just privileges that can be taken away.

    ReplyDelete