Wednesday, October 6, 2010

...call myself a local.

    The other day I was talking with a group of people and the phrase "Known only to us locals" was thrown into the mix. When it was said it was quickly stabbed across the table and twisted into my being with such force that I became offended that I was NOT one of the "Locals" being referred to in the conversation. The funny thing is, I already KNEW the subject they were speaking of and was STILL not considered a local.
   "Known only to us locals." Hyuk, hyuk, nudge nudge... My reply was, "Well the secret must be out because I already knew that."

Local :1- pertaining to, characteristic of, or restricted to a particular place or particular places: 2- pertaining to a city, town, or small district rather than an entire state or country.

Usage:  A local custom, local publication, local transportation, local disease, the British have my favorite usage, A local to them is a bar or pub.

With just the quick glance I took on the definition of the word LOCAL, I never once saw any connection with birthright.

NO... I wasn't born here, I get it. But I think I stopped being an outsider the day I accepted that KERR Lake is pronounced CARR. 

I have lived here longer than I have lived anywhere in my life. I own a home here. I pay taxes on that home and many other things. I work, eat, sleep, breathe, vote and live here. I have seen one lane dirt roads expand into highways and hog farms turn into shopping malls. I know where buildings used to be and why they are gone now and most importantly my son was born here and this is where we will raise him.

You can hold on to your birthright all you want but don't you dare brush me off because I was born in Florida and my family is from the north. The simple fact is, I am rooted and this is my home, it is truly the only home I have ever really known.

  I am a local, I won't tell you how we did it in the north as long as you don't tell me how it is.

Bless your heart.....

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff.

    Reminded me of this post by an online friend about belonging.

    http://coldantlerfarm.blogspot.com/2010/10/belonging.html

    ReplyDelete