Wednesday, June 1, 2011

be myself.

I have this strange phenomenon surrounding me that makes people hear what I say, even if I didn’t actually say it. It forces me to really struggle to keep track of and evaluate what I say before I actually say it. When my filter fails, most of the time it will come back to haunt me. I have found that it is very difficult to be myself in certain aspects of my life.


Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not this overbearing monster or anything. Just a normal guy making normal observations. But when I agree with a crowd of people that a situation sucks, suddenly the crowd forgets that they were all in agreement as well and I become the sole perpetrator of the disagreement. Suddenly, even though there were twenty people in agreement, I am the only person that can be remembered for saying anything. I will say that I am not a very crass or obscene person, but I do like to kid around a bit and I love sarcasm. We live in a super competitive world where one person’s insecurities can force them to hear what they want to hear. I find that really hard to be myself sometimes.

This brings me to a great Idea for a reality show! WHAT??? You are asking, “How does your paranoia transfer over to a reality show?”

We have become so politically correct and sensitive when it comes to speaking to one another that we have to constantly monitor and control not only what we say but how we say it as well.

What would life be like if we didn’t have to? What if we could be dropped in a small town where nobody knows us and all we had to do was be ourselves? What if we were only allowed to act upon our first impulse, say the first thing that came to mind in conversations?

Would your new neighbors learn to love you, or would they run you out of town within a matter of days? Would it be easier for you to talk about things that matter to you like religion, hobbies, family, or even personal problems you may be going through? Knowing that your goal was to be your true self and not to worry about whether people liked what you said or not, would you still be a likeable person?

I’m not sure how I would fare in this. I would like to think that they would not run me out of town ….although, they might think I was slightly crazy.

How would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment