Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Trip notes #7

730am- wake up (Early, I thought) but while I was in the Shower/Toilet combo our doorbell was already ringing.




"Josh , get the door!".... "Come in!" he says.....



Our flight to Hyderabad is at 11:55am we are expected at Samuels home for breakfast at 9am.



830am- bags packed, ready to go. The cars should be down stairs waiting.



9am- saw Samuel, but no car. We took all of the luggage to the lobby.



I noticed the newspapers here are full of actual information and good news stories. Very different than America.



9:30am- made it to Samuels ate breakfast.



More waiting..... We really should be going.



10am- the cars show up.



10:15am- kinda hanging outside, not sure where some people are or what we are waiting for.



11:15am- rush into airport only to be stopped at baggage claim. When we flew in it didn't cost extra but now it's 3000 rupees. ($60 ) It's a bribe, our plane was about to board and they wouldn't budge. We pooled our money and got on the plane.


(This is the man who took the money. We noticed that it didnt go into a register but instead was paperclipped to some paperwork.)


Additional Note:  The plane was a propellor plane..... When we boarded I was excited to be on it....

But when we began our decent....... I swear it felt like our pilot was a Kamikazi  pilot going in for a last chance bombing run.

 I turned as white as a sheet, sat straight up and grabbed for the air conditioning controls, (I stole Josh's air as well.) I began to sweat and then Kevin reached over the chair. "Hey Tom, are you ok?"  I said I was fine......untill I heard the guy eight rows back start to put his complementary baggie to good use. I immediately reached for my baggie and prepped it....... luckily we landed before I needed it.


1:30pm- land in Hyderabad, picked up bags. Heading toward Paradise restaurant.




2:45pm- not sure if the driver knows where he is going.



3pm- made it to Paradise! It was kinda unnerving to have a metal detector at the front gate, a bag search and a pat down. (Just heard that the lady frisking the women was maybe too good at her job). Ordered the Chicken Biriyani extra yogurt sauce.



To manager- " You will have to excuse us, we like our drinks chilled, we are spoiled Americans."



Manager's reply- "Yes, yes, I know."



430pm- shopping...found some great deals and then some not so great deals but it was fun.




-Note of interest - McDonalds smells exactly the same no matter where you are.




7:15pm-stopped by to see a mega church with pastor Sonny, there was an original small church on the grounds that was built in the 1800's. That old church was one of the oldest christian churches in India. (the photo below is of the new church which holds 3500 people)



Surrounded by the rest of the buildings including a larger church and a bible center/prayer center.



We are heading to the orphanage, trying to get there before they go to bed.


Girls on one side......

guys on the other.....


815pm- arrive at orphanage. Introductions. Hand out clown noses and glow sticks... Big fun.



Got to see the dorms for the boys and girls.




9:45pm- We were served dinner.



Everybody wants to feed you here. I think when I get back I'm going to want to go to Wendy's for a nice burger without any spices on it...just a plain old burger.



10:30pm- checked into Swagath Grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment