Monday, August 9, 2010

...shed some light on ADHD.

A couple of friends have asked for more info on ADHD so Here we go.

This is a pretty good site to read about the symptoms.

www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-symptoms


I will also include a test or list of questions that helped diagnose ADHD with me. Mind you this was not why I initially sought counselling, I was having anger issues and depression. I couldn't explain why I was always angry, my self esteem was shot, I was constantly second guessing my decisions, depression overtook me and twisted in with my frustration to even make the simplest of decisions I became more and more angry and frustrated with myself and others around me. It took my wife and some friends sitting me down to say, "You are getting pretty scary, something is wrong." to get me to seek help.

After a couple of sessions, the counsellor mentioned that he noticed I was easily distracted by the window and would only focus if he had the blinds shut. He asked a few questions and I came to realize that I would "daydream" a lot. and he then asked me if I have any hobbies, "Sure, I'm interested in a lot of things." to which he asked, "But do you ever come up with an end product with any of your hobbies?". Of course I don't, that's just crazy talk, my garage is full of half projects and unfinished ideas.

He stood up, pulled a book from the shelf and began to ask questions, I was amazed at how many I answered yes to. try them out for yourself.

http://psychcentral.com/addquiz.htm


Knowing what is wrong and getting the proper treatment has turned my life around and made my relationship with my wife, my son and myself so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment