Tuesday, August 17, 2010

... to share one of my favorites.

This has always been a favorite of mine .



The Sound of One Hand Clapping-




There was a man,
a lonely man, sitting on the edge of a fountain.
He looked so very sad, so I went to him.
I asked him what was wrong.
He looked up at me and smiled,
“Nothing,” he said, “I just understand now.”
Then he vanished.

Later that evening I had a dream,
and I saw that man.
Surrounded by darkness, he was shivering.
“Do you know the sound of one hand clapping?”

I never saw or dreamt of that man again,
but I’ve carried his question with me throughout my life.
What is the sound of one hand clapping?

My life was once so secure, so simple.
I had a job, friends and even someone who loved me,
but no longer.

Now I sit on the edge of the fountain, alone and cold.
I hear the mans voice again,
“What is the sound of one hand clapping?”
I chuckle as a young boy comes and asks me what is wrong.
“Nothing,” I say, “ I just understand now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment